Are there too many airports in B&H?

Inj85

Are there too many airports in B&H?

Postby Inj85 » 05 Oct 2015, 11:39

Today I was wondering: aren't there a bit too many airports in Bosnia & Herzegovina.

When you look at the current set of airports, three of them seem to have a clear function:
  • Sarajevo: the country's main airport
  • Mostar: caters for Medjugorje
  • Tuzla: low-cost
Then, Banja Luka is the one that hasn't got a clear purpose. Why does this airport still exist?

When we look at Serbia, the country has got one major airport (Belgrade), and a smaller one (Nis). Is there so much more demand from B&H? Apparently not, since Banja Luka fails to attract many passengers. And for the future, it isn't looking any better. Is it just a prestige project?

Furthermore, Zagreb Airport is reachable in about 2 hours from Banja Luka.

In a lot of other countries, for example the Netherlands, there has been a concentration of flight around one major airport. In this instance, Amsterdam. It wasn't until a few years ago that smaller airports, like Eindhoven and Rotterdam really started to become a success. The country has got a similar size as B&H. However, there is of course one big difference: accessibility. This is way worse in B&H than in the Netherlands.

Still, I dare to wonder if 4 airports in such a small country, of only 4 million inhabitants, are worth the costs.

What are your thoughts on this? Should Banja Luka be closed down?

midwest

Re: Are there too many airports in B&H?

Postby midwest » 05 Oct 2015, 13:11

So, what are your thoughts on this? Should Banja Luka be closed down?
And if you say yes, elaborate why Banja Luka and who should close it?

And I will remind you that airport can be closed by it's owner or throught lack of certification.
As long as it gets certificate, and owner is happy with it's functioning, why would you advocate it's closure?

We can discuss here about wrong moves by its management, lack of ideas and poor execution, but not about closure.

Inj85

Postby Inj85 » 05 Oct 2015, 15:38

midwest wrote:So, what are your thoughts on this? Should Banja Luka be closed down?
And if you say yes, elaborate why Banja Luka and who should close it?

And I will remind you that airport can be closed by it's owner or throught lack of certification.
As long as it gets certificate, and owner is happy with it's functioning, why would you advocate it's closure?

We can discuss here about wrong moves by its management, lack of ideas and poor execution, but not about closure.

Well, I think you are partly right. It's always up to the owner of the airport to close it down or not.

But isn't it the case that Banja Luka gets huge support from the government? Without that, they wouldn't even exist any more.

And yes, maybe you are right. As long as the demand is there, an airport has the right to exist. But my question would be: without any support, do you think there would still be any airlines flying from Banja Luka?

midwest

Postby midwest » 06 Oct 2015, 14:34

Well, that same government that gives support to the airport is its owner. So, they can do it as long as they wish. Question would be what management does with support to improve competitiveness? Most of the time nothing, and when tries do do something it is quite amateurish.

It is true that airlines, actually since BH Airlines is grounded it is just Air Serbia, do get support through ground handling discount,but same applies for Wizz in Tuzla. We can question whether Wizz would be Tuzla if there is no discount?

So, image is never black and white, it is gray most of the times. As gray as BL airport future, with management this eager. I do not know whether you are informed, but Wizz initially approached BL. And was turned down (to avoid saying forced away) by management/owners.

Return to “Bosnia and Herzegovina”